Wastewater Department

The Zionsville Waste Water Treatment plant is a 2.0 Million Gallon per day facility located in Zionsville Indiana at 855 Starkey Road.

 The facility serves the Town of Zionsville with approximately 70 miles of gravity sanitary sewers and 23 pumping stations.

The Town’s first sanitary sewer system was installed in the mid 1920’s and utilized a ‘Town Septic Tank’ as its means of treatment.
Zionsville Wastewater Plant
History of Department
In 1956 the Town built its first full scale secondary treatment plant located at its present site. The plant consisted of primary tanks, trickling filters, a chlorine contact tank, tertiary polishing ponds, anaerobic digesters, and drying beds. The plant had a capacity of 500,000 gallons per day and served the Town for the next 30 years.

The Town’s first sanitary sewer system was installed in the mid 1920’s and utilized a ‘Town Septic Tank’ as its means of treatment. In 1956 the Town built its first full scale secondary treatment plant located at its present site. The plant consisted of primary tanks, trickling filters, a chlorine contact tank, tertiary polishing ponds, anaerobic digesters, and drying beds. The plant had a capacity of 500,000 gallons per day and served the Town for the next 30 years.

In the early 1980’s the Town qualified for one of the last EPA grants and expanded the plant to a 960,000 gallon per day facility. The plant was converted from a trickling filter plant to an activated sludge plant. Sludge handling capability was added by way of a belt filter press.