Golf Cart Registration
On January 1, 2020, the Zionsville golf cart ordinance went into effect. The ordinance allows the legal use of golf carts by those with a valid operator’s permit on select approved streets within the urban district of Zionsville.
The Zionsville Police Department will issue registration permits for golf carts that meet the requirements. The registration application can be downloaded here. The annual registration fee is $100 per golf cart and must be renewed on an annual basis.
Revenue generated from these fees will be deposited into the Police Operating Fund to offset the costs of the program.
- 106th Street
- 116th Street
- CR 300 South
- 96th Street
- CR 975 East
- Ash Street only from the portion of Mulberry Street to Maple Street
- Elm Street only from the portion of Willow Street to Willow Road
- First Street
- Ford Road
- Maple Street only from the portion of Ash Street to Willow Street
- Mulberry Street
- Oak Street only from the portion of First Street to the corporate town limit
- Sycamore Street only from the portion of First Street to Michigan Road
- Whitestown Road
- Willow Road
- Willow Street
- Zionsville Road
- Main Street from 106th Street to Sycamore Street
Rules for Operating on a Public Roadway
- Golf carts may not be operated on prohibited streets as listed in the ordinance.
- Driver must have a valid driver’s license and proof of financial responsibility.
- Driver must have a valid registration permit issued by ZPD.
- Driver must obey all driver’s licensing requirements and Indiana traffic laws and yield to the right of way of pedestrians and bicycles.
- Driver may not have more than the number of passengers for which the golf cart was originally designed to accommodate.
- All carts must have the minimum safety equipment: headlights and brake lights, rearview mirror, slow-moving vehicle sign and horn.
- Open alcoholic containers and other illegal substances are prohibited in the golf cart during operation.
Violators of the golf cart ordinance will be fined by the Zionsville Police Department.