The Zionsville Police Department is currently accepting applications for new employment, we invite you to complete our application. Applications are available online and can be scanned and emailed to ZPDrecruiting@zionsville-in.gov or mailed to Detective Elizabeth Frost, Zionsville Police Department at 1075 Parkway Drive, Zionsville, IN 46077.
About Zionsville Police Department
Zionsville Police Department currently employees 35 full-time sworn police officers. The manpower is spread between the Uniformed Services Division and the Criminal Investigations Division. The Uniformed Services Division is responsible for traffic and criminal patrol, calls of citizen complaints, and ensuring the general safety of the town. The Criminal Investigations Division is responsible for the investigation of any crimes committed and reported within the town.
DUE TO THE SENSITIVE NATURE OF POLICE WORK, ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS. Below is a list of the minimum requirements for police officer applicants to the Zionsville Police Department.
Minimum Requirements for Zionsville Police Department Applicants
- Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or State Board of Education is acceptable.
- Shall possess a valid Indiana driver’s license (or obtain one within 60 days of becoming an Indiana resident) and have no more than six (6) active points.
- Shall be a US citizen.
- Shall be at least 21 years of age, and under the age of 36 at date of hire unless already enrolled in the PERF77 retirement program. Applicants with 20 years of credible military service have the maximum age waived to 40 years and 6 months.
- Shall be drug-free and have no convictions for driving under the influence of drugs.
- Shall have no more than two (2) alcohol-related violations as a minor (18-20 years of age).
- Shall have no felony convictions.
- Shall have no convictions for any Class A misdemeanor.
- Shall have no convictions for selected Class B misdemeanors (list attached). The Chief of Police will make the final decision regarding disqualification in this area.
- Shall not have received other than an honorable discharge from the military, or other discharge with honorable conditions.
- If hired, shall establish residency as required by state law or local ordinance.
- If you meet these minimum standards and wish to apply, please fill out the application COMPLETELY AND TRUTHFULLY.
- No Marijuana or Derivative use within past 3 years
- No Amphetamines, Methamphetamines, Barbiturates, Cocaine, Anabolic Steroids within past 5 years
- No LSD, PCP, XTC or any designer drug within past 7 years
- No history of Opium/Heroin, injection of any controlled substance, or manufacturing, cultivating, transporting, brokered, or having sold controlled substance
- No conviction for domestic violence-related offenses
- No conviction for OWI within the past 5 years
- No pending misdemeanor or felony cases
- No dishonorable discharge from the military
- No more than 3 moving violations or two preventable crashes in the past 3 years
- Must not falsify or omit any part of the employment application
- Must not falsify, fabricate, or fail to report job-related information
- No felonies committed as an adult, juvenile cases will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Recent or excessive license suspension or revocations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
This is not a comprehensive list. Other immediate disqualifiers may exist and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Current Salary and Benefits
- Probationary Officer: (<1 Year Experience) – $49,369.65
- Patrolman I: (1-2 Years Experience at ZPD) – $54,855.17
- Patrolman II: (2+ Years Experience at ZPD) – $63,311.20
- 20 Year Retirement Eligibility
- $800 Annual Clothing Allowance
- Take-Home Vehicle
- Equipment Provided
- Special Overtime Details (as available)
- Town Matching 457B
- Town Fully-Funded PERF 77 Retirement Fund
- Ongoing Training
- Advancement Opportunities
- Specialized Units
- On-Site Physical Fitness Facility
- 80 Hours Paid Time Off
- Specialty Pays for Selected Assignments
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Lateral Entry Program
**I understand the following CLASS B MISDEMEANORS may be cause for disqualification and any convictions will be evaluated by the Chief of Police on a case-by-case basis.
- Criminal Recklessness
- False Crime Reporting
- Disorderly Conduct
- Unlawful Use of Police Radio
- Possession of a Switchblade
- Visiting a Common Nuisance
- Public Intoxication
- Reckless Driving
- Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor
- Speed Contest
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Criminal Mischief
- Unlawful Gambling
- Refusal to Aid an Officer
- Obstructing an Emergency Medical Person
- Interference with Jury Service
- Interference with Witness Service
- Unlawful Use of Communication Medium
- Invasion of Privacy
- Using or seeking to use a false, counterfeit or altered handgun carrying license to obtain a handgun contrary to the provisions of Regulation 35-47-2-8
Physical Agility Requirements
(Per Indiana State Law Enforcement Academy Exit Standards)
|Run||1.5 mile||16 minutes 28 seconds|
|Sit-ups||1 minute||29 total|
|Run||300 meter||71 seconds|