Heritage Trail Dog Park
Spring weather update: April showers mean... bring a towel! As the seasons change and we open up both sides of the park please plan ahead for additional mud while our new plantings take root.
Registration is currently FULL. The next 100 permits will be randomly drawn from the waitlist and will be issued on April 1.
Dog Park Waiting List
Drainage improvements on the eastern portion of the Heritage Trail Dog Park will be completed soon and we have some fur-tastic news: both the large and small dog sides will open for dog permit holders beginning April 1. At that time we will open up the dog park for an additional 100 permits.
Interested Zionsville residents can sign up for the waiting list (link above). Beginning on Monday, March 15, names will be randomly selected from this waiting list via a lottery system. If your name is selected, you will be notified and can complete your application to begin utilizing the dog park on Thursday, April 1.
- Beginning March 15 - names randomly selected via a lottery system. Selected applicants will be contacted and can move forward in the process.
- April 1 - selected 100 applicants can use the dog park
These next 100 memberships are available to Zionsville residents only and are $75. A second and third dog is $50 for each additional dog.
Residents only need to register once for the waitlist, and new interested dog owners can continue to register throughout the year.
If your name is not selected, future membership opportunities will open. The Zionsville Parks and Recreation Department is closely monitoring usage as the weather warms and will issue additional memberships as we better target our "pup carrying capacity."
The Heritage Trail Dog Park is approximately 3.5 acres and has separate areas for small and large dogs. Amenities on-site include benches, shade areas, pet waste stations, a water fountain with a dog bowl attachment, picnic shelters, paved walking trails, a playground and community gardens.
As part of future plans for Heritage Trail Park, additional parking will be added as well as a playground for older kids.
Dog park hours are from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. Children age 7 and under are not allowed. Children age 8 - 15 must be accompanied by an adult permit holder.
To report maintenance repairs, contact Zionsville Parks & Recreation at 317-733-2273. To report an emergency or incident call 317-873-5967 or 911.
Fees and Registration
All dogs must be registered. The permit requires documentation of current vaccinations.
- Half of the dog park will be closed for the winter season. This is the wettest, muddiest part. Because of this, there is a limit of 3 dogs/household and a limit of 200 dogs registered early 2021. Registration will reopen at a later date for a total of 300 dogs for the 2021 season.
- Initial registration is for Zionsville residents only.
- Membership is valid for one year.
- There will be a $25 discount on registration fees processed in 2021.
2021 Dog Park Fees - $25 discount to fees below for registrations processed in 2021
|Multiple dog membership (limit 3/household), resident||$50/dog|
|Multiple dog membership (limit 3/household), non-resident||$120/dog|
|Replacement key fob||$15|
|Replacement dog tag||$5|
*Fees collected from dog park memberships will be reinvested to cover ongoing dog park costs including reseeding and turf maintenance, security infrastructure and equipment replacement.
- Vaccinations must be current and will include: Rabies, Bordetella, and DAPP or DHPP combination (distemper, hepatitis/adenovirus, parvovirus, and parainfluenza).
- Current negative stool sample for parasites.
- Leptospirosis vaccine recommended.
- Heartworm prevention recommended.
- Dogs in heat not permitted in dog park.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months of age.
To stay informed, please sign up for the Town's newsletter.