News Flash


Posted on: February 13, 2019

Rural to Urban Transition FAQ

-What neighborhoods will be transitioning from the Rural Service District to the Urban Service District in 2019?

Shannon Springs


Courtyards at Zionsville




Zionsville Road

Stillwater Lane

-How are the transition areas determined?

Typically, a reclassification subcommittee identifies the areas based in part on adjacency to the existing urban district and requests from HOAs to be transitioned.

The transition was approved by the Zionsville Town Council in July and will be effective Jan. 1, 2019.

-How will my trash be collected and what will it cost?

Residents will have their trash and recycling collection provided by our contracted trash company – Ray’s Trash Service. The monthly fee for both services is $9.90 and is billed by the Town. Find more information here:

-What services will be provided to me as a result of this transition?

  • Spring and fall brush and limb collection: The service is typically the last two full weeks of April and the first two full weeks of October. The schedule is posted to the website each year as it becomes available here:
  • Annual household heavy trash collection: This takes place each spring just after brush and limb collection, typically the first week of May. As it becomes available, specific information is posted on the website here:
  • Fall leaf collection: This typically begins in mid-October each year and continues through the first week of December.
  • Winter salting and plowing

-What about police and fire services?

The Zionsville Police Department will be the primary police service in your area (formerly provided by the Boone County Sheriff). Fire Services will remain with the Zionsville Fire Department as they are currently, as will Planning and Building Services.

-How will general road maintenance be provided?

The Town of Zionsville Street & Stormwater Department will take over maintenance responsibilities for public roads, curbs and sidewalks when repair is needed. We will also be responsible for the signage along public roads, as well as the authority for the establishment of new ordinances regulating traffic. Any bridges in the transition areas will remain under the authority and responsibility of Boone County Highway Department by state statute.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in A TOP NEWS ITEM