The Zionsville Wastewater Treatment Plant is a Class III, two million gallon per day facility located at 855 Starkey Road. The last plant expansion was completed in 2003.
The facility serves the Town of Zionsville with approximately 70 miles of sanitary sewers and 26 lift (pumping) stations.
History of the Department
The Town’s first sanitary sewer system was installed in the mid-1920’s and utilized a “Town Septic Tank” as its means of treatment. In 1956, the Town built its first full scale secondary treatment plant located at its present site. The plant consisted of primary tanks, trickling filters, a chlorine contact tank, tertiary polishing ponds, anaerobic digesters and drying bends. The plant had a capacity of 500,000 gallons per day and served the Town for the next 30 years.
In the early 1980’s, the Town qualified for one of the last EPA grants and expanded the plant to a 960,000 gallons per day facility. The plant was converted from a trickling filter plant to an activated sludge plant. Sludge handling capability was added by way of a belt filter press.
Later expansions have included a biosolids storage facility, upgrades in treatment capacity and storage capacity and a new belt filter press. The last plant expansion was completed in 2003 and brought the total treatment to 2 million gallons per day.
DISCLAIMER: All boundary representations linked/displayed on this webpage are not authoritative and should not be relied on as such. Official source material shall supersede any discrepancies with map representations/exhibits.