Public Assistance

Eligible Services

Public Assistance will be granted only for "basic necessities.Basic necessities are defined as only those items or services essential to meet the minimum standards of health, safety and decency such as:
  • Essential utility service
    • Gas
    • Heating Fuel
    • Electricity
    • Water
    • Sewer (note: the Town will not pay Zionsville wastewater bills. Contact the Wastewater Department billing deputy director at 317-873-2469 for payment plan)
  • Shelter (rent/mortgage)
  • Medical/dental to alleviate pain, suffering when services cannot be covered by any other agency
  • Clothing*
  • Food*
  • Burial assistance

*Typically referred to the Caring Center in Lebanon or Zionsville Presbyterian Church Food Bank.

Non-Essential Services

The following are not necessary for health, safety or decent living standard of household. The presence of some of these in household may also affect eligibility:

  • Cable television
  • Internet services
  • Insurance premiums
  • Cell phones
  • Telephone
  • Maintenance
  • Deposits for utilities or shelter


Prior to completing an application, please view this checklist of requirementsRequests cannot be considered until an application is completely filled out and all supporting documentation is submitted to the Town. 

Initial Eligibility

  1. Applicant must complete an application for Public Assistance. This form must be signed by all adult members of the household and the “Disclosure and Release of Information” must be completed.
  2. Applicant must furnish an acceptable means of identification (driver’s license, I.D., passport) and Social Security number for each adult member of the household.
  3. Applicant must meet residency requirement. Must provide adequate proof of residence in Zionsville.
  4. The applicant, household or member of household must have a verifiable need that is basic and cannot be remedied by means other than Public Assistance.
  5. All able-bodied adult members of household must be employed or show evidence of trying to find employment.
  6. Bills or services must be due or past due. The Town does not pay “ahead” on bills or services.
  7. For energy or other utilities, applicant must first have contacted service provider to attempt to make other payment arrangements and must have applied to Community Action where applicable.
  8. Applicant/household must qualify financially.  

Documents Needed with Application

  1. Photo I.D. of all adult members of the household;
  2. Lease agreement/mortgage statement;
  3. Proof of income of all adult members of household (last 30 days);
  4. Most current utility bills (if applying for energy assistance); and
  5. Bank statements of all checking and savings accounts (last 60 days);
  6. Social Services Investigation may request additional documentation.

Other Required Actions

Before assistance is granted, apply for rental and utility assistance with Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority and assistance at the Boone County Division of Family Resources. Proof of application is required.

362 North Mt. Zion Road
P.O. Box 548
Lebanon, IN 46052
Phone: 800-403-0864
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

During heating and cooling seasons, applicants must apply for energy assistance with Area IV Agency prior to assistance being granted. Proof of application is required. Send applications to:

PO Box 4727 (Appointments will take place at the Aspire Building - 1600 W. Main Street, Lebanon, Indiana)
Lafayette, Indiana 47903
Phone: 765-447-7683
Hours: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only by appointment, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Closed for lunch from noon - 1 p.m. Appointments are only available for clients in danger of disconnection or who have already been disconnected. All others must mail in or drop off an application.

Food Resources

Income Guidelines

While emergency circumstances may be taken into consideration, in order to qualify for assistance, the household income must fall at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines as outlined below.

Monthly Income

Annual Income


Proof of income is required for at least the previous 30 - 60 day period. It must include proof from ALL adult members of the household. Countable income includes: gross wages before deductions; Social Security benefits; TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families); unemployment compensation; worker’s comp; vacation pay; disability payments; any other income whether from a job or self-employment, sick benefits, strike benefits; private or public pensions; taxable income from self-employment; child support; gifts of cash, goods or services; the monetary value of subsidized housing, utility assistance or any other basic necessity provided by any other agency; other sources of revenue that may reasonably be determined to be countable income.
  1. Public Assistance

    Physical Address
    1100 West Oak Street
    Zionsville, IN 46077

    Mailing Address

    Zionsville, IN 46077