The Zionsville Police Department is not currently accepting applications for employment, however, we accept pre-applications year-round.
After completing the pre-application, email a copy to ZPDRecruiting@zionsville-in.gov. Pre-applications are kept one file for one calendar year. If a hiring process is initiated during that time, pre-applicants will be notified via the email provided on the pre-application.
To access the pre-application, click HERE
About Zionsville Police Department
The Zionsville Police Department provides police service for a total of 28,000 urban and rural residents over 67 square miles with an authorized force of 38 full-time, sworn officers. The Town of Zionsville is home to an incredible school system, flourishing small business footprint, and a robust trail and parks system, making it a great place to live and work. Personnel are assigned in a variety of positions, including patrol, investigations, special investigations, police partners, etc.
DUE TO THE SENSITIVE NATURE OF POLICE WORK, ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS. Below is a list of the minimum requirements for police officer applicants to the Zionsville Police Department.
Minimum Requirements for Zionsville Police Department Applicants
- Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or State Board of Education is acceptable.
- Shall possess a valid Indiana driver’s license (or obtain one within 60 days of becoming an Indiana resident).
- Shall be a US citizen.
- Shall be at least 21 years of age, and under the age of 40 at date of hire unless already enrolled in the PERF 77 retirement program. Applicants with 20 years of credible military service have the maximum age waived to 40 years and 6 months.
- Shall be drug-free and have no convictions for driving under the influence of drugs.
- Shall have no more than two (2) alcohol-related violations as a minor (18-20 years of age).
- Shall have no felony convictions.
- Shall not have received other than an honorable discharge from the military, or other discharge with honorable conditions.
- If hired, shall establish residency as required by state law or local ordinance.
- No recreational use of Marijuana or a derivative within past year.
- Non-prescribed prescription drug usage will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- No history schedule 1 drug usage (with the exception of marijuana - see above).
- No history of sales or dealing in controlled substances.
- No conviction for domestic violence-related offenses
- No conviction for OWI within the past 5 years
- No pending misdemeanor or felony cases
- No dishonorable discharge from the military
- Must not falsify or omit any part of the employment application
- Must not falsify, fabricate, or fail to report job-related information
- No felonies committed as an adult, juvenile cases will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Recent or excessive license suspension or revocations will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
This is not a comprehensive list. Other immediate disqualifiers may exist and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
2021 Salary and Benefits
- Patrolman Second Class: (< Years Experience at ZPD) – $63,525.33
- Patrolman First Class: (2+ Years Experience at ZPD) – $65,782.29
- 20 Year Retirement Eligibility
- $800 Annual Clothing Allowance
- Take-Home Vehicle
- Equipment Provided
- Special Overtime Details (as available)
- Town Matching 457B
- Town Fully-Funded PERF 77 Retirement Fund
- Ongoing Training
- Advancement Opportunities
- Specialized Units
- On-Site Physical Fitness Facility
- 80 Hours Paid Time Off
- 14 Floating Holidays for 2021
- Specialty Pays for Selected Assignments
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Lateral Entry Program
Physical Agility Requirements
(Per Indiana State Law Enforcement Academy Exit Standards)
|Run||1.5 mile||16 minutes 28 seconds|
|Sit-ups||1 minute||29 total|
|Run||300 meter||71 seconds|